It's our vision to Ignite Hope in the heart of every young person, hope that will not disappoint. We are front-line, search and rescue, Christian youth workers. We go where youth gather, seek them out, dive into their world and seek to build meaningful, redemptive and helpful relationships. We get to know their stories, their background, their families. We show them we are someone who cares, someone they can count on. We also create programs that promote positive community and character development that is centered is Christ. Quinte Youth Unlimited is actively creating opportunities for youth to grow and working with Centre Hastings Secondary School.
Why Love Centre Hastings Youth Unlimited?
Opportunities & Activities
- Street Outreach. By simply being intentional about walking the streets and going where youth gather there are many opportunities to connect with youth. By simply listening and being present Joel is able to hear and respond to cries for help that often go unheard.
- YU Discussion Group. Every week students watch a popular music video and hear a story from the life of Jesus then discuss them. The purpose is to get youth to think critically about the messages promoted by popular culture and do so through the lens of what Jesus taught us about life and love, meaning and purpose. Sometimes the message and values of the video are good, sometimes not so good, so we need to help youth think critically and not merely absorb everything pop culture has to offer. This group is student lead and open to everyone regardless of beliefs or background. Thursdays @ CHSS. Start of Lunch.
- CRAVE. We all long for things like love and meaning and purpose - you could even say our souls CRAVE them - but why? This is a place for youth to explore the cravings of their soul. It's a relaxed environment, a place for youth to belong and to discover authentic community rooted in Christ. Come hang out, eat some food, play some games, listen to some music and engage in discussions. We are currently centering our discussions around videos of people's life stories - part of a movement called iamsecond.com. 1st and 3rd Thursday of every month. 7 pm @ Arts Centre Building (Madoc Skate Park)
- Marmora Youth Night. A fun, safe place for youth to hang out on a Saturday night! Each night features a different theme from Camou Courage to Mexican Fiesta to Feb Frost Fest but it's always high energy and lots of fun. There's a variety of indoor and outdoor games and activities from extreme scavenger hunts, to nerf gun wars, to snow fort building, to eating competitions, to life sized games of hungry hippo! We also circle up for an interactive "God talk" where we share some truth's from scripture based on our theme of the night. Oh and then we dive into the always abundant supply of snacks! Saturdays. Once a month. 7 pm @ Marmora Senior P.S. Grades 6+
- YU House of Prayer. Every Monday the Centre Hastings YU office building becomes a place of prayer. If we are weak in prayer we are weak everywhere. It's Joel's desire to create a space for myself and others to slow down and be with God, a place of prayer, reflection, intercession and communion. All are welcome! Mondays 7 AM - 7 PM. 135 Elgin St. Madoc.
- Student Leadership. One of the greatest influence in a teen's life is their peers. That's why we are passionate about developing student leaders. Youth reaching youth that will reach more youth. We do this through one-on-one mentoring, regular student leadership meetings and leadership training events, such as Today's Teens or other opportunities that come up.
- Referrals. What could be worse than a youth worker not knowing where to direct youth when they need more help or resources? That's why we make intentional effort to know our community and be well connected with different organizations that service youth - for example, we may not offer housing or professional counselling for youth - but we know who does.
- Mentoring. One of the greatest assets we can offer to youth to help them overcome some of life's challenges is simply providing a consistent, caring connection. Something amazing happens when you know you matter, that you are valued and that you can make a difference in the world - that's what our mentoring is all about.
- Athletic Coaching at CHSS - Joel helps coach boys and girls volleyball and boys rugby at the local high school so he can connect with students and become more a part of the high school community.
- CHSS School Council - Joel is a community representative on the School Council. It's a way to serve the school and it's families as our main objective is parent engagement. Also a great way to stay informed on the happenings within the school.
- Chaperone for CHSS - Occasionally Joel has the opportunity to help supervise school trips or special class outings when they are in need of an additional chaperone. Another great way to connect with students and serve the school.
- Tutoring / Mentoring at CHAP - Joel volunteers a couple afternoons a week at CHAP which is an alternative program for students that aren't succeeding in the normal high school environment. There's plenty of opportunities to help them with their work as well as connect with them on a personal level.
- Volunteer at Marmora Senior P.S. - Once a week Joel volunteers at Marmora Senior - an elementary school grades 4 to 8. Currently I help mainly on their nutrition breaks, supervising activities such as floor hockey or basketball. I love working with this age group and hope to provide more programming geared towards their level.
To learn more about the Centre Hastings Satellite Director Joel Martin and his family, please click here.